Skip to main content
Belmont University | Belief in Something Greater

Frequently Asked Questions

1. How much does the program cost?

Post-bac students will take 45 graduate hours while Belmont 4+1 students will take 30 graduate hours.  There are also additional student activity and course fees.  Information regarding the current cost of graduate hours can be found here.

2. Are there any scholarship or grant opportunities?

There are a number of financial aid options for paying for graduate school.  Belmont's financial aid office can help you explore these options.  You can find more information here or call (615) 460-6403.

Andrea McClain can also provide more information about the Tennessee Teaching Scholars.  Belmont’s Department of Education also provides small amounts of scholarship monies that students can apply for. While these scholarship do not cover a large amount of tuition they can help to cover the cost of textbooks or other needs.

3. Can I maintain a part-time job while completing the intern program?

We very, very strongly discourage our intern candidates from working, even part-time, while completing the intern program.  During the school year, interns will experience working as a full-time teacher as well as being responsible for rigorous graduate coursework.

4. When does the program start?

Interns are required to attend a week-long front-loading session that is held at the end of July. During these front-loading sessions Belmont faculty will provide you with information and instruction that will help you begin the academic year smoothly in your classroom. After the front-loading sessions, all interns report to their school on the same day that their mentor teachers report.

5. What does it mean that I receive a full year’s experience to result in a higher salary?

Upon being hired, teacher’s salaries are based upon their district’s salary scales. Each year of experience results in a small incremental increase in the pay scale.  Graduates of the intern program enter the workforce at Year Two on the pay scale.  Graduates of the intern program will also receive the added salary increase of having a Master’s degree.

6. Does my licensure transfer to other states?  Does my year of credit transfer to other states?

Yes.  Your license is reciprocal in all fifty states, pending some technical requirements that may be required in a specific state.  For instance, History of Texas is required for all K-6 teachers seeking licensure in Texas. Your year of credit also transfers to other states.