Skip to main content
Belmont University | Belief in Something Greater

Undergraduate Aid

The amount of financial aid awarded each year makes a Belmont education reasonable and affordable. We distribute comprehensive aid packages made up of a combination of need-based aid and merit-based aid. To be eligible to receive any form of need-based aid from Belmont University, you should complete and return the FAFSA by December 1 prior to the year in which you plan to enroll. 
What types of aid are awarded?
How do I apply for financial aid?
Step 1 -- submit the FAFSA
Fill out and submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the federal processor. You can complete the FAFSA online or pick up a paper copy from your high school guidance counselor's office. The priority date for completion of the FAFSA is December 1 each year. Be sure to indicate Belmont's Title IV code on your application -- 003479 -- to ensure that our Office of Student Financial Services receives your application results.

Step 2 -- Review your SAR 
You should receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) in the mail within approximately six weeks of the date that the federal processor receives your FAFSA. Review the SAR for accuracy and follow any instructions on the report. If your SAR is incorrect, please make the corrections and submit the corrected form to the federal processor. If your SAR is correct, there is no need to return it. Belmont will receive an electronic version from the federal processor.

Step 3 -- Apply for scholarships and grants 
Upon admission to the university, you are automatically considered for all sources of merit aid. However, some scholarships and grants may require a separate application.

Step 4 -- Wait for your money 
Belmont's Office of Student Financial Services begins reviewing SARs as soon as possible after March 15. Awards are made on a first-come, first-served basis. Award letters are mailed to students as awards are completed, along with any additional paperwork that students will need to complete, such as the Master Promissory Note or PLUS Loan Application.

Step 5 -- Complete additional paperwork 
Complete the Master Promissory Note, PLUS Loan Application, and any other required paperwork as soon as you receive it and return it to the Office of Student Financial Services. We will fill out any areas that require information from us and submit the applications to your chosen lender. You will receive notification from your lender of your loan approval. 
You may be asked to complete a verification worksheet to compare the data entered on your application with you and your parents' tax forms. You may download this form online: 
Dependent Verification Worksheet 
Independent Verification Worksheet  

Step 6 -- Complete Stafford Loan entrance counseling
If you are a first-time borrower at Belmont, be sure to complete your loan entrance counseling before the payment due dates. You can complete loan entrance and exit counseling on the Student Financial Services web site.
How do I maintain my financial aid?

Once you have been awarded financial aid, you must demonstrate satisfactory academic progress during your enrollment in order to maintain your aid. Undergraduate students are considered to demonstrate satisfactory academic progress if they achieve and maintain a 2.0 GPA on all coursework completed at Belmont and pass 75 percent of the hours they attempt. 

Eligibility for federal programs will be evaluated as part of the initial application process and again at the end of each academic year. In the  evaluation process, all grades of "W" (withdrawn) or "I" (incomplete) will be counted as hours attempted but not passed. Repeated courses will count as hours attempted. Entering students are considered to be making satisfactory academic progress. 

Students cannot receive aid after attempting 150% of the hours required for completion of their academic program, including hours accepted for transfer credit. 

Each year, students must reapply for assistance through the U.S. Department of Education. The amount offered in grants, loans, and work study may vary from year to year. All federal programs are subject each year to action by the Congress of the United States of America